We are very happy to see that the great open source software OpenCPN is releasing a new version, 3.2. in May 8th 2013. This is a great alternative to MaxSea, Navi Sailor, etc.
In this version we find a lot of improvements for AIS support. Please see the list below.
- BSBv3 raster and S57 ENC chart support.
- CM93 vector chart support, with per cell offset corrections.
- IHO S52 compliant display of S57 vector charts.
- “BSB4″ and “nv-chart” support through plugins.
- Single-chart and Quilted display modes.
- North-up, Course-up and Chart-up display modes.
- Moving-map display mode.
- Route navigation with ship tracking functions.
- Waypoint navigation.
- Dashboard for configurable on-screen display of ship’s NMEA data.
- NMEA 0183 GPS interface at selectable baud rate.
- OpenGL support for enhanced performance on modern hardware.
- Advance NMEA message handling structure, with built in multiplexer.
- Autopilot output support.
- AIS input with full target tracking and collision alerting.
- AIS support for SART, DSC and GPSGate Buddies.
- Anchor watch/alarm functions.
- GRIB file input and display for weather forecasting.
- GPX Waypoint, Track and Route input and output file support.
- Tide and Current prediction and display by location.
- Route planning with tidal support.
- Builtin great-circle routing.
- Integrated weather routing through qtVlm.
- GPX Layers for annotation of charts.
- A selection of display themes.
- A growing number of plugins. Google Earth, World Magnetic Variation, Voyage Data Recorder, AIS -radar, SAR and a LogBook.
- Multi-language support. 20+ languages supported.
- Windows XP, Vista and 7
- Linux, BSD, Solaris
- Macintosh OSX
More information: http://opencpn.org/ocpn/